Kudos for the Church of the Advocate
- National Historic Landmark (1996)
- Save America's Treasures Grant (2005)
- National Register of Historic Places (1980)
- Pennsylvania Inventory of Historic Places (1979)
This is the highest recognition the state provides for historic sites.
- Philadelphia Historic Commission – Philadelphia Register of Historic Places (1980)
- Landmark Building Award, Philadelphia Chapter AIA (1985)
- King's Handbook of Episcopalian Churches, a register of the most prominent Episcopal building in the country, listed the advocate when it was still being built in 1889.
Although all of the work of the church architect's Charles Burn is important, Roger Moss tells us that it is believed that if Burns "designed but one church in the late nineteenth century, The George W. South Memorial Protestant Episcopal Church of the Advocate would sustain his reputation."